Tequila braised pork shoulder with red chilies, smoked salt, fresh black pepper and tomato paste, slow cooked to pull-tender.
4-5 lb Chairman’s Reserve® Premium Pork Shoulder
½ cup tequila
5 dry red chilies, rehydrated
2 teaspoons smoked salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup tomato paste
- Preheat oven at 350°F.
- Combine the tequila, chilies, salt, black pepper and tomato paste in a food processor.
- Place the pork shoulder on a roasted pan and rub the chili and tomato mixture all over the pork shoulder.
- Cook in the oven until the pork is tender, about 2 to 3 hours.
Serving suggestions: Cast-Iron Black Beans with Charred Oranges and Habanero Peppers and Oven Roasted Rice Pilaf, recipes follow
Cast-Iron Black Beans with Charred Oranges and Habanero Peppers
Cast-iron black beans with fresh habanero peppers, charred orange segments, shallot pedals, smashed garlic and fresh cilantro.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
5 garlic cloves
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
1 teaspoon minced habanero peppers
1 orange, segments
¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Peel the shallots into large pieces/pedals.
- Smash the garlic cloves with the flat part of a knife or spoon.
- Cook the shallots, garlic and beans for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and toss in the habanero and orange segments.
- Finish with cilantro.
Oven Roasted Rice Pilaf
Oven roasted rice pilaf with crisped white rice, pumpkin seeds, charred jalapenos, smashed grape tomatoes and Mexican oregano.
1 cup dry white rice
2 cups water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
¼ cup pumpkins seeds
1 teaspoon diced jalapeno
½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 teaspoon dry Mexican oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup chicken stock
- Cook the rice in the water until boiling, cover and remove from heat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Toss the rice with seeds, jalapeno, tomatoes, oregano and seasoning.
- Pour in the stock if the rice starts to stick.