It’s never too early for barbecue — this hearty breakfast incorporates pork, fresh veggies, eggs and bold BBQ flavors to kickstart your day.
2 cups of pulled Chairman’s Reserve® Pork shoulder or chopped pork barbecue
2 cups diced gold potatoes
½ cup diced yellow onions
½ cup diced green bell pepper
⅛ cup minced jalapeño
1 cup + 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
Cool Smoke BBQ Rub or your favorite barbecue rub
4 to 8 large eggs prepared sunny side up
Hot sauce, to taste
- Blanch diced potatoes until tender in a pot of salted water, strain into colander and chill.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat and sauté onion, green pepper and jalapeno until onion is slightly translucent. Stir mixture frequently with wooden spoon.
- Remove onions and peppers from skillet and reserve.
- Clean skillet for next step.
- Take cleaned cast-iron skillet, add 1 cup vegetable oil, heat to 325ºF. Use thermometer to temp oil.
- Add diced cooked potatoes and shallow fry, until crispy.
- Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined baking tray.
- Season with Cool Smoke BBQ Rub while the potatoes are still hot.
- Discard vegetable oil, wipe skillet clean.
- Return cast-iron skillet to burner at medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to heat.
- When oil is hot, add pork barbecue, onions, peppers and potatoes. Sauté until hot, stirring frequently. Season with Cool Smoke BBQ Rub.
- Serve pork hash with sunny side eggs on top and a drizzle of hot sauce or BBQ sauce if preferred.
Recipe courtesy of pitmaster Tuffy Stone.