hung tri-tip tacos
3 Chairman’s Reserve® Beef tri-tips
1 tablespoon Big Poppa’s Little Louie’s Garlic Salt w/Black Pepper per tri-tip
1 tablespoon garlic olive oil per tri-tip
1 container pico de gallo
1 flour tortilla per taco, 12
8 oz Mexican shredded cheese
½ oz Mexican crema
- Preheat smoker to 300ºF.
- Cover the tri-tip in a thin layer of garlic olive oil to act as “glue.” Liberally season all sides with Big Poppa’s Little Louie’s Garlic Salt w/Black Pepper.
- Allow seasoning to “melt” into the meat, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Using long hooks, hang the tri-tip in the smoker for 40 minutes, or until internal temperature is 138ºF, then remove from smoker and set aside.
- Set up your smoker to searing (raise your charcoal basket, or use a gas grill on the high setting).
- Sear the tri-tip on high for 45 seconds, then turn diagonally and sear for another 45 seconds. Flip and repeat on the other side. The final internal temperature should be 145ºF after searing for peak tenderness.
- Remove meat from searing and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Slice thinly and top with pico de gallo.
- Grill flour tortillas on the stovetop, add shredded cheese, meat and Mexican crema. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Recipe courtesy of pitmaster Sterling Ball.