Feel like a true pitmaster with this versatile recipe that can be enjoyed on its own or with nachos, tacos, sandwiches and more..
1 Chairman’s Reserve® bone-in pork butt
½ cup Big Poppa’s Pork Prod Injection
½–¾ cup Big Poppa’s Sweet Money Championship Rub
½–¾ cup Big Poppa’s Jallelujah Jalapeño Seasoning Salt
4 to 5 tablespoons Big Poppa’s Happy Ending Rub
16 oz water
¼ cup brown sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons clover honey
½ cup apple juice
¼ cup Granny’s BBQ Sauce
- Preheat smoker or oven to 275°F. Trim some fat from the pork butt, leave the majority of the fat cap on the bottom (bacon side).
- Mix 16 oz of water with ½ cup Big Poppa Smokers Pork Prod Pork Injection in 32 oz Nalgene bottle (or similar) — seal the lid and shake to mix thoroughly.
- Fill injector and inject pork with the solution — starting on the side, going to the fat/bacon side, then in the money muscle/end.
- Season all sides thoroughly with Big Poppa Smokers Sweet Money Championship Rub, pat the rub into the meat. Let the rub “sweat” into the meat to create a sort of dry brine — it will get shiny once all the large salt are melted in.
- Place pork butt in the smoker/oven. Monitor temperature until it reaches an internal temp of 155°F, remove.
- Take two sheets of heavy duty foil, place pork butt on top of them.
- Sprinkle brown sugar on top, then add a drizzle of honey and season with Big Poppa Smokers Happy Ending Finishing Rub. Carefully pour apple juice around the pork butt. Tightly double wrap pork butt in foil.
- Place foiled pork butt on the smoker for a couple hours, or until internal temp is anywhere from 195°F to 205°F.
- Carefully remove foiled pork butt from smoker and place into a deep pan (disposable aluminum half pans work best). Do not remove foil.
- Wrap with a thick beach towel or blanket and let it rest for 2 hours.
- While still in the pan, remove towel and unwrap foil. Transfer pork butt to another pan — make sure to reserve the juices from the foil in the original pan.
- Remove the bone from the pork butt — it should slide out easily but pork will still be very hot — wear double cotton hot gloves with nitrile food gloves on top, or high heat BBQ gloves.
- Start breaking apart/pulling pork into chunks. Season lightly with more Big Poppa Smokers Happy Ending Finishing Rub.
- Take about ¼ to ½ of the reserved cooking juices and drizzle over pulled meat to rehydrate — mix throughout the pork. Lightly drizzle Granny’s BBQ Sauce on pulled pork (if desired), mix. Serve.
Pro tip: Can be used to top nachos, tacos, sandwiches, burgers and more.
Recipe courtesy of pitmaster Sterling Ball.