This simple, Swedish-inspired recipe is a can’t miss hit with friends and family. Serve as an app or a main dish. Combine ground pork and flavorful seasonings, then fry to golden goodness..
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 ½ cups breadcrumbs, divided
½ medium onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dry sherry
Freshly ground pepper
⅓ cup milk
½ teaspoon mustard powder
3 large eggs
½ pound Chairman’s Reserve® ground pork
½ pound ground turkey
1 tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon ground allspice
Vegetable oil, for frying
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, season with salt and cook until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes; set aside.
- Combine ½ cup breadcrumbs and the milk in a bowl; set aside until the milk is absorbed, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir the sherry and mustard powder in a large bowl until dissolved, then beat in 1 egg. Add the soaked breadcrumbs, the browned onion, the pork, turkey, honey, allspice, salt and pepper to taste. Gently mix with your hands until combined.
- Form the mixture into 36 small meatballs, about 1 tablespoon each, with damp hands or an ice cream scoop.
- Put the remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Whisk the remaining 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons water in a bowl. Dip each meatball in egg, letting the excess drip off, then roll in the breadcrumbs; return to the baking sheet.
- Heat about 1 ½ inches vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-high. Heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 325°F. Working in batches, fry the meatballs, gently stirring with a slotted spoon, until golden and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and season with salt. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Skewer each meatball.