The delicious combination of Apple Onion Jam, Caraway Rub and pork brine gives this dish a new level of flavor..
1 ½ quarts Pork Loin Brine (see recipe)
2 (1 ½ pound) Chairman’s Reserve® Pork tenderloin
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon Caraway Rub (see recipe), divided
2 cups Apple Onion Jam (see recipe)
1 quart + 1 cup apple juice
½ cup kosher salt
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
4 small bay leaves
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
apple onion jam
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 ½ cups finely diced yellow onions (about 2 medium onions)
3 cups tart apples, peeled and finely diced (about 2 large apples)
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
5 each sprigs thyme
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon freshly ground caraway
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
½ teaspoon granulated onion
- In a large pot or lidded container, whisk apple juice, salt and brown sugar until dissolved.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and refrigerate 24 hours before using.
apple onion jam
- In a 3-quart, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat add oil and onions.
- Sauté the onions until they begin to caramelize (about 7 minutes).
- Add all the remaining ingredients, cover, and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook 15 minutes, or until the apples are tender and mash easily with a fork.
- Remove from the heat, uncover, and let the jam cool completely to room temperature. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients together thoroughly. Store.
- Strain the brine and discard the solids. Place the pork loins in a lidded container and pour enough strained brine over to cover. Refrigerate 4 hours.
- Combine the butter and 1 teaspoon Caraway Rub in a bowl.
- Remove the loin from brine and pat dry with paper towels. Discard the brine.
- Microwave the butter mixture for 30 seconds to melt and brush it on all sides of loin.
- Dust the loin on all sides with 3 tablespoons Caraway Rub. Let the tenderloin sit 30 minutes at room temperature before cooking.
- Heat a grill to 400ºF using a 2-Zone setup. Place the seasoned pork loins on the hot side of the grill and cook 10 minutes, turning the loin frequently to evenly brown all sides.
- Move the loins to cool side of grill, and continue to cook 10 minutes, or until a meat thermometer placed in the thickest part of the loins read a temperature of 140ºF.
- Remove the loin from the heat and let it rest 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve warm with warmed Apple Onion Jam.
Pro tip: Cooking with medallions? Grill for 3 to 5 minutes over medium heat, turning the cuts after 2 to 3 minutes. Pull off the heat when each cut of pork hits 145º F with a cooking thermometer, then let rest for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of pitmaster Tuffy Stone.